Monday, April 21, 2008

on site magazine


on site is a great magazine - published in Canada and having culture · urbanism · art · architecture as it's subtitle.

I believe I mentioned a few weeks ago that I have an article in the current issue, but that's not what this post is about.


The magazine is pretty much a labour of love, and out of that comes a very good magazine. Although it's published in Canada, it is very international in flavour and as well as having some good articles, it is also packed with interesting photography.


The last couple of issues, for example, have had articles on the erasure of Erich Honechker's Palast der Republik in what was East Germany; surprisingly cool architectural posters; contemporary Chinese architectural culture (which, from my browsing the web is subject of much current photography); a private house which also doubles as a private photography gallery; Roman Fountains; urban gardens and landscapes; a funky new foot-bridge (named for Simone de Beavoir) across the Seine in Paris; a strange but intriguing conceptual book/artwork and plenty more.

(Stephanie White)

Now, the reason I bring all this up is that the magazine can do with all the subscribers it can get... I say this, not because I have an article in it (I don't get a penny for it); but because they produce an excellent magazine on a shoestring (it is basically ad free as well, which is refreshing) and if - as happened recently - they lose an important chunk of funding, a regular subscriber base makes a lot of difference.

So, just a small prod - if it sounds like a magazine you might enjoy maybe take out a subscription. You can sign up on the website (which I'll admit, is a bit basic) - you could even order the current issue if you really want to read my few pages (email them if you have any trouble navigating)... although you have probably seen most of it here if you are a regular visitor :-).


--- end of public service announcement ---

(Markku Rainer Peltonen)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think this is an interesting magazine.. kinda' different from the usual stuffs I read.. I like the photos and the cover as well!